Friday, February 15, 2008

When did this happen?

When did the time come that I have to worry about my parents going into the hospital? When did the time come that a call late at night or early in the morning makes my heart skip a beat?

Right now as I write this, my Uncle D is having open heart surgery for a triple bypass. He has fought cancer and now has to live with it. He has type 2 diabetes and he is 70, now this. The risk comes with all the other problems he has. For a healthy person this surgery is not that risky.

It all started Monday when he called my dad and was telling him about his bad heart burn. He also complained of a lump in his throat and his heart racing. Daddy told him to call the doctor and go get it checked out. So off Uncle D went to see his doctor. They admitted him directly into ICU and proceeded to run tests of him. They kept him until yesterday. Due to the results of the iodine test they transported him to Toledo Heart Institute.

I sit here waiting for my phone to ring. Even though I know the surgery wont be finished for another 3 + hours.

It just makes my heart hurt thinking that something might go wrong and Uncle D does not make it. It makes my heart hurt thinking about how scared he must have been, going into this. My jaw tightens and hurts knowing his wife and kids have to sit and wait in the hospital while their husband and father go through this surgery. Uncle D is a strong man and I can only hope and pray this wasn't his time to return to his home above.

I just don't know when this happened...When did the time come that my generation had to worry about our parents?

1 comment:

Kara Hamrick Brumley said...

Yes, its true. Its scary that we are now at the age that our parent's health starts to fail and their time here on earth becomes limited. Just know that you have us (your sisters, your friends and your other family members) will be there to support and comfort you in times of uncertainty and more importantly in times of sorrow. Much love to your and your family during this difficult time.